Saturday, December 29, 2007

Kalyani aims to show she's no quitter

Source : NST


SEPANG: An accident 19 years ago left her paralysed from the neck down. But this has not broken her spirit.

Despite being bedridden, K. Kalyani, 39, is a picture of determination. Never without a smile, she charms those who visit her at her home in Sungai Pelek with her vibrant personality.

"I used to cry and hate myself for ending up like this. I didn't even talk to my family for months. But, in 1993, I met a radio personality who changed me to who I am now," she said.

"I used to be a Selangor state runner during my school days. Now I can't even move my legs. I miss those days," she said.

Fate delivered another blow two years ago when her father died. A year later, her mother, K. Ammacham, had a stroke and the right side of her body was left paralysed.

She also needs dialysis treatment three times a week after losing both her kidneys.

"The Klang Buddhist Society pays for my mother's treatment. The Welfare Department gives her a monthly allowance of RM200. I get RM160," she said.

Her brother, a garbage lorry driver, helps to pay their house rent and the maid who takes care of them.

"Both my mother and I need adult diapers and that alone comes to RM340 a month. Visits to the dialysis treatment centre are expensive as we have to take a taxi," she said.

"If I could at least use my hands, I would try to get a job. But, with this condition, how could I?," she asked.

Those who want to offer assistance may contact Kalyani at 013-2593732.

No comments: