Monday, March 3, 2008

First-time voters, beware...

Source : M'Kini
Image : Net


The government and EC will do their utmost best to deny you your right to vote as they know first-timers are likely to be opposition supporters.

Juli Ooi: I would like to advise first-time voters to check with the Election Commission (EC) to ensure that they have been registered as voters.

I was a first-time voter in the 2004 election and I was told that my name was not in the register when I presented my Mykad at the polling station. Upon my insistence that I had checked my eligibility to vote at the EC website, the officer pointed me to another counter where I was again told that my name was not in the register. I raised my voice in displeasure and this second officer bent sideways to produce another register from under the table and only then allowed me to vote.

So, first-time voters, please be ready to face such tactics when you go to vote on March 8. The government and EC will do their utmost best to deny you your right to vote as they know first-timers are likely to be opposition supporters.

Myoneview: EC can verify whether the 8,666 centenarian voters are still alive with National Registration Department. This is an easy task, isn't it? Making statements such as: ‘As far as the commission is concerned, as of Dec 31 last year, these voters are still alive,’ is very irresponsible and not sensible.

In fact, every Malaysian with a valid MyKad should have the right to vote in a general election and not just based on whether their names appear on the electoral roll.

Malaysian: Dear EC chairperson, you have the authority to conduct the 12th General Elections in the most democratic manner. As a true Muslim who abides by the Holy Koran, please be fair to all the candidates from all the contesting parties. Please avoid the ‘phantom voting’ and also please try not to ‘top up’ BN candidates’ votes at the last minute (claiming they are postal votes). This cannot be democracy. Be true to your conscience, and be a true Muslim. Please be fair and you will be rewarded by the Almighty. Thank you.

No comments: