Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Time to heal wounds...

A Letter By : Dr.B.Rajasingam


WHAT a feeling to wake up to on March 9 and to find democracy is alive and kicking in Malaysia.

The people have finally spoken. Now is the time for healing. The wounds that have been opened need to be nursed back to good health.

The time has come for the Government to take notice of its people and not blame the Opposition for causing rifts in our multiracial society.

The years of racial tension must be brought to an end before we end up like some nations where ethnic problems have destroyed its social foundation.

Both the government and the opposition need to sit down and find solutions for all our people irrespective of race.

This is not the time to blame the Prime Minister and government for all our woes. The problems that are facing us today have been started even before the current leadership.

Unfortunately, we have allowed this to happen because of our own malaise. Problems are many but they can be fixed with a fair and transparent government.

I salute the people for giving me the courage to write this letter which a few months ago I would not have done so because of the fear of repercussions.

I would like to highlight some lessons that I have learnt from the elections.

- To Dr D. Jeyakumar, for teaching me to have belief in myself and my aims and that perseverance will bear fruit.

- To Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon and Datuk Dr Awang Adek Hussin for teaching me to be gracious when defeated.

- To Nurul Izzah Anwar for teaching me that nothing is impossible.

- And to the people of Kelantan, I salute you for steadfastly believing in keeping to your traditional ways of life despite the onslaught of modern times.


It is time that the Government go down hard on the local councillors who openly and disrespectully flout the rules and are allowed to continue to do so with impudence.

The state governments should be held responsible for allowing this to happen.

We are living in interesting times where the people have woken up and demanded that democracy be allowed back through our front doors.

I was born a Malaysian and I will die a Malaysian. Today, there is no other place I would rather be, for this is my home.

Dr. B. RAJASINGAM,
Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: