Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thank You Malaysia for voting wisely….

By YennaMike


After failing to vote for the past 2 election I have finally decided to fly back to Malaysia to make my one vote counts – although my decision to fly back criticised as an insane move by some of my friends and family members. Being abroad does not mean that we are not aware of what is going on in Malaysia – infact we know more about what is going on, not to mention the “unfiltered” news that we get through international media.

The MAS flight that I took was full on the day I flew back to Malaysia, I could hear the passengers having serious conversation about the General Election. Through out the conversation I could hear the word “need to change them lah…., time to change lah…”. I decided to join their conversation. We got into chatting and they were quite surprised to hear the facts from me despite knowing that I have left Malaysia to work abroad 10 years ago.

Having got off the plane my lovely Wife and Uncle picked me up from the airport and I was quite amused with what I heard from my Uncle. A man with less education but great business mind spills out his thought – I want change…Makkal Sakthi will win. We arrived in Brickfields for a meal and the mood in Brickfields were the same.

I noticed that the Ruling party had more posters and banners compared to the Oppositions. In the midst of all these a Malay boy was distributing “Sivaji the Boss” pamphlets with Dato Seri Anwar’s face on it – people were taking it with great respect and I could see a mark respect and of unity – they whispered Makkal Sakthi when collecting it from the boy.

Come the Election Day we were getting ready to leave to the polling station when my mom’s friend came to visit us after casting her vote….she said I did my part and I hope you will do yours. She then turned to my mum and said listen to your son…vote what is best for your next generation…!!!. Funny enough my mom already decided to Vote for the Opposition for the first time in her life…!!!

After a while we excused ourselves and drove to our polling station, there were three tents erected near the polling stations – BN, PKR and Independent and guess what….the crowd was in the PKR tent and strangely no one was sitting in the Independent tent apart from few BN Campaigners – eeemmm that is very fishy.

The polling station was empty and we did out bit and left hoping to a good Majority win. Left to Klang that night and sat in front of the tele for the rest of the night. The first good news came around 9.00pm – Samy is out..!!!. Then the rest – many seats won in Klang and later came to know that PKR won at my hometown with a majority over 4000 votes…yippee my effort is paid off…!!!.

The following morning – I was desperate for a news paper to see the final results, nearly fell of the chair when came to know that the Opposition won majority in 5 state and Selangor being one of them….!!!. Met my Uncle for breakfast and I would see he was so excited – we were exchanging greeting “Makkal Sakthi”…!!! – The mood was the same in the Restaurant, each and every one of them had news paper on their table and they were referring this victory to Ramayana Epic…

I personally felt that people really wanted a CHANGE and I salute all those voted for the Opposition to allow them to prove themselves. Once again Thank You Malaysia for voting wisely….!!!

No comments: